Network The Hidden
What is the "hidden" job market?
This term describes the number of positions where
employers receive so many speculative CV's that they
often don't need to advertise.
These jobs are offered to people already known to the
company either from speculative applications or from
friends or contacts of people who already work for the
Did you know that 70% of all vacancies are filled
by this method.
There are currently around 300 applications for every
vacancy advertised on the job boards. That means there
are over 300 applications for each of the 30% of
vacancies that are actually advertised. If you can stop
looking at that 30% and start looking at the other 70%
then your chances of finding new job will increase
Any job hunter can develop a network of contacts who
will be useful to their career prospects. You don't even
need to have a director in the family! Networking is
easy, if you know how, and job hunters who develop their
own contacts will never be short of career advice or
offers of work.
So, what is networking?
It's not about asking and taking.
It's not about asking strangers to do you favours or to
get you a job.
It's far more subtle than that. It's about asking people
for advice and, whilst doing that, creating an
opportunity to make them aware that your available and
looking for work in their sphere of influence.
Most people like to help others when they can,
particularly if they're giving some advice. So you ask
those people you contact questions to gather information
about the company or industry which will help you make
an informed decision about your career. Many of these
people know other people who will be able to offer you
advice and will increase your network. This increase in
your network increases your exposure to new
But how do you network?
Many career contacts are not through the obvious
employment related routes. Many can be made by talking
to family and friends and meeting people during social
events. It's amazing just how many new opportunities
friends and family may already know about and just
mentioning that you're looking for work in a particular
field could lead to your next role. Don't be shy in
letting people know that you're looking for a new
position and the type of work you're looking for. You
never know they might know of a position you wouldn't
even have considered. Find out from anyone you meet what
they do, the company they work for, colleagues they have
and who they could talk to on your behalf.
There are also many online networking opportunities.
Linked-in is a professional online network where you can
get in touch with professional contacts you may have
made throughout your career. You can join online groups
and forums. Simply becoming a member of the site will
allow colleagues and contacts from your past to get in
touch with you. Linked in exists to help professionals
make better use of their professional networks and many
recruiters actively use this site for initial searches
for recruitment purposes.
Don't overlook social networking sites as a method of
spreading the word that you're looking for a new job.
Email friends asking to be kept up to date with any
developments in their companies and to keep you in mind
if they see or hear of any openings. Always make sure
you add a little paragraph giving details of what you're
looking for, your experience and skills and add your CV
to your profile.
I hope this article has helped you in your quest for a
new job, but if you'd like to know more then please
suggest an article.
ATTENTION Job Seekers: Use The New "Secret Career
Document" DURING Your Next Job Interview To "WOW"
Employers Like Never Before...
http://www.finding-a-job.info for more information